One of the most popular social networks in recent times is Instagram. Its main strength is the possibility of sharing highly visual content and, based on this, the creators of the platform are implementing improvements and expanding the possibilities of users, improving their experience within the application.
One of these, which has been active for some time, is Instagram IGTV . Do you know what it is, how to configure it and how to upload videos in this Instagram application? I tell you everything in this post.
Instagram TV (IGTV): what is it and how does it work?
In the world of marketing and advertising, visual impacts and social media are increasingly important. Instagram TV belongs to both and, therefore, it is important to consider the potential that this new application can bring us.
Instagram TV (IGTV) is an application that is part of the Instagram social network that basically serves to upload videos in a longer, higher quality and vertically oriented format .
The application was launched in 2018 and has its independent app, although it is also integrated with Instagram. Its main function is to offer higher quality videos to users through a system of channels that would come to resemble a television, since once the application is accessed, it shows videos without the need for searches. The content displayed can be chosen from the one that Instagram chooses for you, the channels you follow or the one popular on the social network.
As we have commented, IGTV provides users and video creators with characteristics that must be taken into account:
- Duration : the duration varies if the video is uploaded from the mobile or from the web. In both cases the minimum duration is one minute; However, on mobile the maximum is 15 minutes and from the web the maximum time is up to 60 minutes.
- Format : the format supported by the app is MP4.
- Size and resolution:
- Vertical video with a 9:16 ratio or horizontal with a 16: 9 ratio.
- Minimum resolution of 720 pixels.
- Maximum file size of 650 MB for those videos of maximum 10 minutes, and 3.6GB for those of 60 minutes.
How to create an IGTV channel?
Once you have seen the basic characteristics of the videos that can be published on IGTV, the next natural step is to see how to create a channel. An application channel is equivalent to a user, since, as Instagram says, the creators are the channels.
The easiest way to create a user is by accessing the application. Once there you have to go to settings and, from there, access the “Create your channel” section. Once this is done, you can start uploading your videos!
It is important to note that, since the username is the same as that of traditional Instagram, the followers of your account will be followers of your channel automatically.
Once the channel is open to publish content, you simply have to go to the “+” button and choose the content from your gallery that you want to upload to your channel. Remember to put the title and description, and share this content with your audience. Later I will provide you with good practices so that this content can reach more users. Keep reading!
IGTV and marketing: why use it?
As I mentioned at the beginning of the post, Instagram is one of the social networks with the most active users at the moment, a fact that is very positive for companies. But what about IGTV? Does it have the same potential as Instagram?
What can Instagram TV contribute to your business?
Instagram TV has been repeatedly seen as the alternative to YouTube, so its impact could be similar. However, being directly integrated with Instagram offers the possibility of using the synergies of both applications to have a greater impact. The main benefits would be the following:
- The importance of videos. According to what Instagram indicates , in 2021, 78% of mobile data traffic will correspond to mobile videos. Young audiences are spending more time with amateur content creators than professionals.
- Possibility of visually impacting the user . Videos are a very powerful tool to visually impact a user and make them show interest in content.
- Creativity without the need for abundant resources. To publish a video on IGTV you only need one tool: a mobile phone. Taking into account that these are more “informal” videos with a good base of creativity, not much financial resources are required, since there are even free apps to edit the videos.
- Engagement generation. It is very important to take into account the possibility of interaction with users that Instagram has , which makes the brand more connected with them and closer.
- Own channel to establish communication with users. It is not only important to consider the possibility of establishing this connection, but, in the end, it is done through a channel that is controlled by the brand.
- Presence in the daily life of users. The fact of being present in one of the most used social networks makes us part of the day-to-day of the users and, although no direct sales process is generated directly, they can keep us in mind as “top of mind brand” when taking some purchasing decisions.
How is IGTV different from YouTube?
As I said, IGTV and YouTube are two platforms that can be very similar, but what differences are there between them?
There are many similarities between Instagram TV and YouTube, since both networks allow you to follow / have followers, establish a connection with them and publish any type of content created by users.
The main difference would be the device of use for which they are intended. IGTV is better designed for mobiles, with its possibility of uploading vertical videos, and YouTube for computers, something that makes the former a more consulted resource by the user in his spare time.
Another difference to highlight would be the integration of the first with its mother app, which currently has millions of users and which allows taking advantage of the audience gained for the channel. Even so, YouTube is still the giant of video content due to the time it has been established and the large number of users who are already used to this platform.
What are the best videos to post on IGTV for brands?
It is important to capitalize on the benefits of the social network, so it is important to take them into account when thinking about the content strategy to be followed. Although advertising campaigns and advertisements can be shared, it is highly recommended to use those videos that bring us closer to the Instagram user, who “humanize” the brand (although standards must be maintained) and that help us establish a connection, communication and engagement with them.
With all this in mind, some examples of videos that can be used would be the following:
- How it was done (backstage). Videos, especially related to events, meetings, product launches, etc. Thus users can feel more connected to the brand.
- Launches and first advances of new products (trailers). Exclusive content is very attractive to users, as it makes them feel “special”, so … why not use this type of content on our IGTV channel?
- Interviews with people related to the brand or company. For this you have to look for the person or people interviewed and see that their testimonies will really be of interest to the user. Directors, workers, influencers or celebrities who have participated with the brand can be groups to start with.
- Discounts and promotions. Publicizing the discounts through videos will help the user pay more attention to them.
- Product unboxing, video tutorials or question and answer sessions (FAQ).
- Stories around the brand. There are even some brands that, considering that IGTV works like a television, have created their own “miniseries” through the platform.
How to use Instagram TV in your marketing strategy?
Once we have seen all that Instagram TV can give us, it is time to ask ourselves how to integrate this channel into our marketing strategy and plan.
To do this you have to follow, on the one hand, a series of good practices that will help you get closer to your target audience and, on the other, be aware that you will have to measure the results of each of the actions that you carry out. cape.
Good practices: how to maximize the result of your videos?
The first thing we are going to see is the application of good practices. This series of tips that we are going to present to you below are simple to carry out, but, if we apply them, our visibility within IGTV will surely increase and we will improve the engagement of the videos:
- Hashtags and keywords – Improve discoverability : it is important to include in your video description some keywords and, above all, the famous hashtags (#), in order to reach users who do not follow your channel but are interested in similar topics to yours.
Links : The links in the Instagram videos are the CTAs of the inbound marketing posts. If we talk about a particular product or something related to the brand, it is interesting to include links for those users who are interested. It is important that the links make sense and are natural with the content, since, if not, the user may perceive it as “too advertising”.
- Video length: although the application allows you to make long format videos, the longest videos are usually not the ones with the best results, although it is not recommended to make very short videos either (for this there is already the traditional Instagram application). With the retention metric you can get to estimate the optimal length of the videos, although a recommendation would be that the length of the video makes sense with the content.
- Cross-Promotion : use the synergies of all social networks. It is important to share the IGTV video with a preview on the Instagram channel (it can be done at the same time as uploading the video), in the stories, as well as in the Facebook and Twitter applications. The more we share the video, the more potential we will have to reach users.
- Publication calendar: if we are recurring in publications and the calendar is planned in a way that the content offered is interesting for the user (as if it were a series), we can get users to follow our channel frequently. That is why it is also important to inform about future publications.
- Capture attention at the beginning: the most valuable information must go to the beginning of the video, since it is the first impact that the user receives (and that is when he decides to watch the video or change the channel). It is recommended that it be visually striking at the beginning (to capture attention) and that it is optimized to be seen in silence (that the images are sufficient or subtitled), since many users may not be able to use the sound of the mobile. This should also be extrapolated to the “video preview”: the video used on the user’s channel (normal Instagram account) should prompt the user to see the full video, as well as its description and the cover photo chosen. .
- Originality / Creativity: Although it is a fairly obvious point, users are very used to being impacted by visual content, so the more original and creative our content, the more chances there are that it will stay on our channel.
- Keep up to date with the latest trends / challenges of Instagram TV to participate: although it may seem a bit contradictory to the previous point, participating in the challenges or trends can help your channel to be more popular, since your brand will be seen as something that Participate in the Instagram community, a fact that will help humanize it and make it closer.
- Alignment with the brand and coherence: although the content we publish is different from recurring advertising, it is important to have a “personal personality” that is aligned with the brand, since, in the end, we must show ourselves to users in the way that that we want to be seen, and differentiate ourselves based on this.
- Aesthetic coherence : in relation to the previous point, it is important that the publications have coherence in order to be identified.
Measure your success on IGTV
Finally, as with other types of actions, you must measure the return and impact of any video that you upload to IGTV. In this case, carrying out the data collection is simple, since Instagram gives you the possibility to measure each of your publications for free. It is important to monitor them to get the most out of them.
The most important metrics are as follows:
- Reach – Views metric : This metric serves as a basis for measuring the others. The more people have seen your video, the more engagement (likes and comments) is expected. It is important to optimize your post to reach as many people as possible. How? With some of the good practices that I have explained to you in the previous section.
- Content engagement metrics – likes and comments: This metric allows us to see the reaction of users to our content. Although if the account is very large, it is almost impossible to respond to all comments; It is interesting to consider the option, since it greatly improves one of the benefits discussed above: the possibility of connecting with the user.
- Click metrics : in case we have placed a link in our video, this metric would inform us about the conversion obtained.
- Attention retention and evolution: this metric is important to evaluate the interest generated in users with our content. It is likely that most users who start viewing the video will not finish it. Instagram allows you to see when users have “lost interest”. Taking this into account can help us to adjust the length of the videos and see those weak points of our videos to improve them.
- It is important to consider the potential that this social network can have for your company and consider including it in your marketing strategy. The application offers us a more casual format than YouTube and allows us to present a profile of the brand closest to the user in one of the networks with the most followers.
- That is why it is crucial to take into account all the actions to be carried out so that the generated content allows us to maximize results, taking advantage of the synergies of all social networks and the tools that the same application provides us, as well as aligning them with your brand to have its own personality. Are you ready to start with Instagram TV in your business?