WPO or Web Performance Optimization, a digital marketing concept that is becoming more and more relevant every day.
Why will it be?
We are going to give you some initial clues before entering to explain in detail everything you need to know to optimize the performance of your website at the loading speed and cache level.
– WPO or Web Performance Optimization has a lot to do with SEO.
– It is a relevant factor for Google.
– It is directly related to the final user experience.
– Associated with concepts such as cache or loading speed or web speed.
– It affects each page, each URL and not only the home page.
– With the increase in mobile consumption, it has become a crucial factor.
With all these premises we can foresee that we can never have a viable digital project. Whether web or App. If not, we work professionally and this would be a crucial part of any digital marketing strategy.
We leave you this tutorial with everything you need, you know. And at the end we tell you how we improved the LCMK WPO with the help of Webempresa .
We can start by affirming that WPO or Web Performance is a discipline within digital marketing, and more specifically within the SEO area; Responsible for analyzing a website to detect changes or errors to improve that facilitate the optimization of loading speed.
It is other words:
“Do everything in our power so that the entire web loads as quickly as possible.”
And when we say the entire web, we are referring to each of the URLs that make up the site.
To each file, each code, each byte of information.
Web Performance Optimization, or WPO, directly affects the user experience. If it loads fast, the user will have a satisfactory navigation. If it loads slowly, you will most likely miss visits every day.
And be careful because they never return!
It is also a key factor that affects the positioning of any website in search engines.
Because in our SEO Strategy we must work 4 different areas:
With the given definition, we understand that the concept is clear. But how does the WPO take shape?
How do I start working to optimize web performance?
We leave you a mini guide with 10 WPO factors to get straight to the point:
1. The load time of the first byte or TTFB. Very important factor for Google. Let’s not forget that delays in requests between browser and server can increase this response time. Which will cause penalties.
2. The server configuration and the type of hosting contracted.
3. The total weight of the web : all files; such as images, videos, infographics …
4. The file upload number . You have to activate the cache memory, which is the one that stores the data on disk so that they can be used again.
5. The combination of files like images, CSS or JS.
6. Minimize redirects that slow down the total load of the site. Be very careful here not to create loops or overload the sites.
7. Use of CDNS to expedite requests. CDNs reduce server load by allowing resources to be on other servers in different locations.
8. Code optimization : minification, code compression and each unique language (do not write for example in html and followed in php).
9. Be careful with the installation of plugins or very heavy programs.
10. GZIP compression of files helps to reduce the load weight.
If you solve these 10 points we guarantee a considerable improvement in WPO.
We have taken another step to work on the entire WPO part of the web. But now we lack tools to help detect these errors.
In this sense we are lucky because we have 3 tools, with free options, that will help us in this optimization process.
We are going to do the tests with the LCMK blog itself. And then we will detail later and step by step how we optimize the blog with the help of Webempresa.
It is a free web page speed test that Google offers us within the solutions it has for developers. It is very easy to use, we simply copy the main URL of the site and paste it in the search engine.
It is a payment tool that lets us analyze any website for free, giving us a lot of interesting information about the WPO part.
It provides us with very good data such as the load time per URL, the total load time, the total weight of the web, it compares us with the average of the sector, it tells us the type of content, what weight it has and what time it loads….
It is a tool that allows us to analyze any website also for free and thus we complement those already mentioned above.
Same procedure: copy the main URL of the site and paste
It gives us 2 performance scores, one from Page Speed and the other from Yslow (it is a development extension for the Mozilla Firefox web browser, intended to analyze the performance of web pages). It gives us a summary of the total load time, total weight and responses.
In this free part it also offers us the loading wall where we will see the individual time that each element of the web takes to load in a timeline. Very useful and interesting.
As there is nothing better than putting an example with yourself to prove everything explained above. Let’s go to the mess.
When I changed my hosting company with Webempresa, it was time to turn the whole WPO part of the blog. As well as securitization.
The team of professionals behind me convinced me in a few seconds. Such professionalism is a pleasure.
We tell you the main steps we carry out.
The first is to carry out an audit with the 3 tools that we have previously mentioned to have the real WPO status.
We start with Pingdom Tools. We see that the total score is 66 out of 100. A total web weight of 2.3 MB and a loading time of 1.92 seconds
If we are going to be audited with Google Page Insights. We appreciate on a laptop a score of 64 out of 100. And on mobile a score of 71 out of 100.
Many aspects needed to be improved to further optimize the speed of the web.
The first thing was the choice of the new Hosting. Fundamental element to optimize the whole part of WPO.
In this case we chose the chosen hosting was WordPress 5GB that includes important WPO factors such as:
– Maximum speed SSD drives
– 200 GB. Monthly transfer
– Image Optimizer
– Magic Cache
Our WPO recommendation when you go to buy a server is to always look at these 5 points:
• SDD disks: this type of disk speeds up the web loading speed.
• Cache: a good hosting service has its own cache system to serve the same information to the user, saving speed.
• SSl certificate: having installed the lents encrypt certificate we can use the HTTP / 2 system (used in new browsers to speed up the load)
• Caged accounts: this system allows the speed of your website not to be affected if another client has many visits at certain times.
• PHP7: if your hosting does not offer the implemented PHP7 software, it is better to use another one.
A high percentage that will make your website more or less fast or more or less slow, will depend on the hosting you hire.
With the hosting purchased with just one click, we perform the migration of the entire blog.
The complete list of installed and active plugins was reviewed to really analyze which ones should follow and which ones should be uninstalled.
These were the plugins active at that time in LCMK:
– Redux Framework
– Accelerated Mobile Pages
– Advanced Category Template
– Akismet Anti-Spam
– Better Search Replace
– Contact Form 7
– Cookie Notice
– Display Widgets
– Anti-Malware Security and Brute-Force
– Jetpack by WordPress.com
– WPBakery Visual Composer
– QK Import
– QK Register Post Type
– Sossy (Social Profile for WordPress)
– Wordfence Security
– WordPress Importer
– WP Simple Adsense Insertion
– Yoast SEO
– WP Smush
– WP Super cache
In the end, as time goes by, we install plugins, for different functionalities, and many times we forget to uninstall or disable plugins that are no longer in use.
In the case of LCMK we analyze one by one and delete the unnecessary ones.
“ Keep only those that are totally necessary and disable the rest. All the functions that these plugins carry out that you can do without, better do without them, since the sum of all, in the end interfere with the loading of the web. ”
It is very important that whenever we go to make substantial modifications to the web, we make backup copies. In case of rolling it, it can be restored without problems.
Once the plugins have been cleaned; The Webempresa team started with the installation of the SSL Certificate.
So that it does not affect the SEO of the web and does not generate duplicate content, the entire web must be redirected to the new links with https.
So when any user enters from:
http://laculturadelmarketing.com or http://www.laculturadelmarketing.com, they are automatically redirected to the same URL but with https.
In this case we have used the plugin: imgoptimizer to optimize the images.
At the time of optimization, it had 4,147 images, occupying 213mb. The total size of the images has been reduced by 52%, to occupy 103mb.
Loading speed is one of the key factors for positioning in Google.
The Magic Caché plugin, based on Varnish + Nginx with microcache, was activated.
Along with this, we installed another called We_varnish to be able to control the cache and clear it from WordPress itself.
WP Super Caché plugin was replaced by fully configured W3 Total Caché.
This Cache system at the Server level allows assuming a much higher number of visits because all the web content is cached in RAM memory.
With the Varnish cache we get:
– That the web loads much faster, with server response times of between 60 and 140 milliseconds.
– That the hosting account does not exceed the limits of resources that you have assigned.
– That the web is kept standing without the system limiting due to high consumption of resources.
HTTP2 was also activated to make web loading faster.
PHP 7 version is configured, which is the fastest currently available.
Here we leave you the improvement in the optimization work carried out and detailed above.
We see that after all the actions carried out, the overall score improved by 23 points, going from 66 to 83. The total weight was reduced by 1MB.
According to the Google tool, we raised the score to 80, although it has dropped one point.
This tells us that the WPO part requires constant optimization work. We can’t let our guard down !!!